In the summer of 1945, a committee formed from the directors of the Jesup Library decided to exhibit old photographs and pamphlets showing the town's past in memory of George B. Dorr, the father of Acadia National Park, who died in 1944.
The exhibit, which opened August 19, 1945 in the library's Children's Room, was such a success that when it closed, the committee was inspired to maintain a permanent exhibit of all historical materials relating to the town of Bar Harbor.
Since then the collection has grown steadily and we gradually outgrew our space. In November 1997 we purchase the former St. Edwards Convent at 33 Ledgelawn Avenue. Through the generosity of the year-round residents and summer visitors we celebrated "burning" the mortgage on December 9, 2000. The many gifts of memorabilia, maps, antique clothing and pictures continue to expand the displays.
Selected Bar Harbor Historical Society images: